I are loving it!
Come on, tell me this fast food chain doesn’t have the means or brains to translate things for tourists into English in Amsterdam, I dare you!
My friend spotted three mistakes although I can squeeze out more. I’m not going to mention them all, it takes the fun out of it.
1) No trading what? No “give me some fries and I’ll give you a big sip of my milkshake?” Seriously, I don’t get it. We covered the drugs already, right? Or was that just doing drugs?
2) …with or without reason? Unconscious? Brain dead?
3) If trouble… It’s that “You Tarzan, me Jane” Dunglish again. Someone call the Dunglish police!
January 6th, 2009 at 10:19 pm
McDonalds not being considered a waiting area, can only be seen as bad marketing on their behalf.
January 6th, 2009 at 10:23 pm
It’s a funny one though… 🙂 How many did you spot anyway?
January 6th, 2009 at 10:36 pm
More than three 🙂 It is a waiting area. No wait, it’s a place to go pee.
January 6th, 2009 at 10:57 pm
The place was covered with it. Every corner had one… I was so embarrassed for them…
January 6th, 2009 at 11:22 pm
sent?= monetary unit of Estonia, equal to one hundredth of a kroon. Wow, what a powerful ( and unconscious?)manager !
January 7th, 2009 at 2:44 am
Homerules = house rules
sent you out the restaurant = make you leave the restaurant
Seating = sitting
January 7th, 2009 at 4:02 pm
1. No drugs
2. No alcohol
3. No soliciting? No commercial activity?
4. Customers must defer to the manager’s authority?
5. The manager may ask customers to leave for any reason he considers appropriate.
6. We will call the police in the event of any disturbance.
7. Seating area is for paying customers only. No loitering.
You’d think head office either in NL or the US would have some kind of standard sign they could install. It’s painful to see that someone wrote this crap, had it etched into that plastic and installed throughout the place and no one during the entire process thought to have the English checked. Maybe it’s aimed at ESL speakers and they didn’t think it was worth the effort to get it right.
January 8th, 2009 at 8:14 am
Why did they “translate” homerules but not the rest? Translate everything or nothing.
January 8th, 2009 at 6:07 pm
Why on earth is “huisregels” on this sign when the rest is all english?
January 9th, 2009 at 2:14 pm
Send that manager back to Hamburger University! 😛
January 13th, 2009 at 10:31 am
Hey, give them some credit. After all, they did write “Amsterdam” correctly. 😉
January 15th, 2009 at 11:43 am
Why on earth is â€œhuisregelsâ€ on this sign when the rest is all english?
Maybe, so non-English reading customers know what the sign is for.
April 1st, 2009 at 9:02 am
This looks too much like the Turkish Engrish I see all over Turkey…is the manager a second-generation immigrant from Turkey, my beloved and crazy country? “Yurdum insanÄ± Ã§ok yaÅŸa!”